David Gardner is the founder and CEO of ColorJar, a Chicago-based creative tech agency. Before founding ColorJar, David was a professional basketball player and a founder of a social network in India. ColorJar specializes in branding and creating custom websites and mobile apps and has worked with everyone from Fortune500 corporations, to venture-funded startups.
In this episode we cover:
- Why he decided to start an agency
- What makes a great name and brand
- How to approach building a new brand to cut through all the noise
- Why user personas are better than talking about demographics
- How the Chicago tech scene has changed in his 8 years since founding ColorJar
- The surprising benefits of having a distributed team
- Why employees and employers should date (contracting) before marrying (full time)
- Why he prefers to hire freelancers
- Why you should follow your instincts
David’s Favorite Book: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcom Gladwell
- Bevy: a Chicago startup delivering everything you need, but don’t want to own, for amazing experiences. Own Less. Live More.