Jeff Kahn is a Co-Founder and CEO of Rise Science, a sleep behavior change startup that provides sleep coaching for elite athletes. They harness the science behind sleep, and give elite athletes the power to perform at their best with the help of continuous, personalized insights, guidance and feedback.
Rise Science is currently working with many major sports organizations like the Chicago Bulls, Jacksonville Jaguars, Miami Dolphins, West Virginia Mountaineers, and Tennessee Volunteers. Jeff's research and work has been featured in the NY Times, ESPN and the Wall Street Journal.
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- How the idea for Rise Science came about
- What the first version of their sleep tracking looked like
- How to determine how much sleep you personally need
- Comparing different sleep tracking tools
- The compliance rate with professional players
- Why they sell the players on sleep tracking and not the coaches
- What kind of performance improvements teams are seeing
- What the ideal nap looks like
- Whether morning (larks) or night (owls) people exist
- Do owls or larks have a performance advantage in life/sports
- The most common sleep mistakes athletes make
- How do justify $80-100k a year to GMs of professional teams
- What Jeff’s sleep habits look like
- How you can improve your sleep
Selected Links From The Episode:
- Internal Time: Chronotypes, Social Jet Lag, and Why You're So Tired by Till Roenneberg
- The Promise of Sleep: A Pioneer in Sleep Medicine Explores the Vital Connection Between Health, Happiness, and a Good Night's Sleep by William C. Dement
- Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work by Chip Heath and Dan Heath
- The Sales Acceleration Formula: Using Data, Technology, and Inbound Selling to go from $0 to $100 Million by Mark Roberge
- Bevy: a Chicago startup delivering everything you need, but don’t want to own, for amazing experiences. Own Less. Live More.