Mia Saini & Laura Lisowski are the Founders of Oars + Alps, a new e-commerce startup selling men’s skincare products for "athleisure guys on the go". Their first products are a face moisturizer, a deodorant, and a face wash in stick form.
Mia Saini is a graduate of MIT and Harvard Business School and a former reporter for Bloomberg TV. Early last year, Mia quit her job at Bloomberg and her Co-Founder Laura Lisowski quit her job at Facebook to start building Oars + Alps out of 1871.
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- The difference between men's and women's skin care
- How they decided to start with these products
- Where the name comes from
- How they met on a party boat in Thailand
- The benefits of being an outsider in the industry
- How they choose ingredients
- Why you have to set the price before making product decisions
- What men are doing wrong in their grooming
- How they plan to cut through the noise and get the word out
- How they position their brand
- Another startup brand they look up to
- The value of content and influencer marketing
- How they landed features in Esquire and Bloomberg within months of launching and how you can to
Selected Links From The Episode:
- Sunski Sunglasses
- Harvard Business Review
- The New Yorker
- New York Times
- Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg
- Propllr: a Chicago public relations firm that helps startups and innovators build credibility and awareness for their companies, people, products and services.